Monday, August 13, 2007

Hurricane Charley August 13, 2004




It's been 3 years since we lived Hurricane Charley. Seems like yesterday. Seems like a lifetime ago. Our little piece of paradise was "ground zero" for Charley. Today, our town dedicated a sculpture to the people of the community. We went out yesterday evening and took some photos. It really is a beautiful piece of art. I hope you enjoy the picture. I think it is quite fitting the the sky was so ominous yesterday evening....

I remember what I was stitching on that day, Faith, by Emie Bishop, a Christmas gift for my boss, that I had the sense to start in January of that year! I took 1 progress photo and that was it. I did finish it and had it framed and ready to go by Christmas! Surprise! Next time I'm at their home I will get a real photo! I remember working the kloster blocks the day of the storm, stopping to pace, listening to the news reports, thinking we were all going to die, praying to God we made it... It was a comfort, once the power came back on, to be able to pick up my stitching again! Oh, my boss & family? They loved the piece & it hangs in their living room for all to see.

I have no stitching updates to post. Maybe I should rename my blog "365 excuses not to stitch"... It was just one of those weekends. I am in need of my social security card. The hunt was on. I found: My very first social security card, my social security card when I was married the first time, my social security card after my divorce when I took my maiden name back, my Oklahoma drivers license ( we moved from there in 2/96), $8.38 in change, a picture of my first car (a 1974 Chevy Nova!), all 3 kids social security cards, my passport, names and address' of people I don't even remember.... but no social security card in my current name (that I have had for 16 years thank you). So, it was off to the SS Admin office today. Not a pleasant place to spend 3 hours, but got a new card on the way and a letter from the SSA to prove I am who I am.... the real card should be here in 2 weeks.
I'm off to Savannah bright and early this Friday to spend the weekend stitching and learning with Susan Greening Davis, old friends and new. If you are going to be there, please let me know, I look forward to seeing you & /or meeting you! I just can't wait to have a stitchy weekend! Wish I could stitch in the car, but I'm one of those who can't. Can't even think about reading a book either. Oh well, Cathy and Anita will just have to entertain me!
xoxo ~~Martha~~

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow, has it really been three years? I wasn't in Florida yet, but I was glued to the TV when it was happening. It's amazing to drive down there and still see the tops of the trees missing. Hopefully nothing like that happens again! Hope you have fun in Savannah. I was just there with my husband, it's such a beautiful city! I'm going to the Susan Greening Davis class here in T.I. Will you be there?

Deb said...

We will miss you, but hope you have a wonderful stitchey weekend. I didn't know you could stitch those really difficult Emie Bishop designs!! WOW! :O

Hugs,
Deb